"HR Health/Personnel Files"
Issues to consider
An initial assessment of a personnel record management system includes the following inquires:
- Are personnel record-keeping policies compliant with applicable state and federal laws?
- What should be placed in a personnel file?
- Should I-9s be kept separately from personnel records?
- Where should medical information be filed? What is considered protected health information?
- Is the system designed to properly safeguard the privacy of employee information?
- Does the system create efficiency in the accessibility and usage of employee files?
- Does the system meet administrative needs of extracting employee data for compliance reporting?
- Should personnel records be accessible to supervisors?
- Are files logistically secure to prevent damage in the event of a catastrophe (flood, fire, vandalism, theft, tampering, etc.)?
- How long must records be retained?
- What procedures must be followed in disposing of personnel records?
* Learn how Robinson Professional Services works with you.